Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 219 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Sheldon Brown already did that, and no one thinks he did that by lifting posts off of forums or making stuff up.

Generally speaking, I think we do each other an enormous disservice when we post 'facts' that we have no direct experience with and are just parroting something we thought we heard once. Even on a forum, because search engines will find those posts for decades. And I am very vocal about that.

BikeGremilin.com takes that a step further and enshrines a lot of that misinformation as text, rather than the dialogue of a forum. The author isn't an industry professional like Sheldon was (or I am) or an engineer, he doesn't cite sources and presents facts, mistakes and opinions equally. And then goes out of his way to present theories about how information and opinions should be generated. I find the whole thing strikingly dishonest because this isn't how knowledge is found, it is more like how AI approximates information.

Some facts are completely without politics. Cog spacing or methods for stopping brake squeal are those kind of facts, and shouldn't be subject to some sort of democratic process. The moment I pointed out that a bunch of stuff was wrong on BikeGremlin.com, that shouldn't have caused those entries to change. That should have caused the author to research my assertions and challenge them against his own experience. And that isn't what happens.
You've raised some very good questions in this thread, notably:
  • About finding reliable information on the Internet.
    A few other members also raised questions about Google and SEO.
  • And about the reliability of information on my website(s).
I discussed and briefly explained all that in the latest article:
Is BikeGremlin a reliable source of information?

Relja