View Single Post
Old 12-20-23, 10:03 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1435 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 221 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood

to summarize = historically, one might say we're (50+) about equally divided in opinion on this. LSD or HIITs take your pick and adjust to your individual schedule. Add weight training. And have fun.
Funny, I had to look up both of those acronyms! Now I see why you expect an entertaining thread based on those two camps of fitness techniques.I have experimented with heart monitors - not to hit any target zones but to avoid blowing up my heart! I'm one of those people who could push it beyond sensible limits. I used a heart monitor to learn how certain BPMs feel and really don't need the numbers anymore.

re-edit: 5 times solo Xcountry - you should be giving the tips! I'll listen while sippin my beer.
I'll keep those war stories for the folks in the Touring section, although things have changed so much since the 90s. For instance: digital photography, social media, Google maps, Google Earth, and just cell phones in general. I had none of those tools. "Uphill to school both ways in the snow!"

Tip = over 65 and new to hills and want to ride with spouse might mean road e-bike time for someone.
My wife is a gym rat. Hates cycling. She could likely kill me if she ever did cycle. We met as speed skaters. Fairly equal capabilities. I'm fine lost in my own thoughts on a bike. Bird song and wind in the pines suits me fine.

Originally Posted by Jay Turberville
I'm only 64. So I guess I shouldn't answer. But I'm pretty much in your situation having recently retired. I look at my riding friends, and for the most part the ones who are fitter and faster are the ones putting in the work. For someone with your experience, I think its pretty much that simple. You get out what you put it. Personally, I still enjoy riding. So I'm willing to put in the effort. It's fun.

Other than that, make sure you sleep well and allow your older body more time to recover.
All advice I already follow. I really didn't mean to exclude any age, I just picked 65 because that's where I am. Yeah, the increased recovery thing is becoming mandatory for sure.

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Recovery, that's the tricky bit. At 65, I can still train hard and put in long sessions, but I have to be more mindful of recovery. It doesn't happen as quickly as it did 20 years ago.

No more "I'm feeling a bit tired today, but I'll just push through it" days. If I'm feeling tired, I'll take an easy day.
Same here. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Random11
I'm 73 and haven't noticed any decline in my cycling fitness. However, I didn't start cycling until I was 67, so I'm not comparing my fitness now with my fitness when I was in my 30s or 40s. I was a runner for more than half a century, but had to quit because of knee problems. Maybe I was more fit when I was running, but I feel just as fit and active now. So, to your question, you should have many years ahead before you feel like your fitness is declining. BTW, I'm not monitoring my performance, so it may be that I'm not as fast or as strong as I used to be. I'm telling you how I feel.
I feel pretty much the same. My bikes keep getting slower and slower.

(It's true. Ditched the fancy road bike a few years ago. My fave right now is a Surly Lowside 1x1. So slow)

Originally Posted by Steve B.
I’m 68. I used to ride very hard and far, 40-50 miles were common. 10 years ago and according to my RWGPS records, so at age 60, was averaging 15-16 mph on solo rides. Last 2-3 years, distances have been down to 30-35 max, but that’s mostly as I just don’t do enough riding to work up to longer distances. My avg speeds are also 13 or so. Partially due to medical issues from 2014 on and harder to get over those issues, so that’s part of the reason not riding as hard. But age related decline is inevitable and you have to work very hard to overcome it.
Thanks. Yeah, I certainly am bracing myself for decline. Just wanting to slow it down so I barely notice. I see an electric tadpole trike in my (hopefully) distant future!