View Single Post
Old 12-21-23, 09:43 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 657 Times in 369 Posts
Originally Posted by Ofsinreno
I have read a number of posts about which is better; but I am curious about my situation specifically.
I have an S-Works Aethos that I have built as my main road bike. I live in the Reno area and ride the mountails around me often; but I also use this bike for long rides 80+ miles. I am not racing.
I currently have a set of Hyperwheels 38mm (1,350g), and a set of Craft Racing Works 50mm/60mm (1,300g); but I want a lighter set of climbing wheels. As good as they are, I am NOT interested in the Roval wheels that are so common with this bike.
I am looking at a set of Light Bicycle AR25 laced with Berd spokes to Extralite HyperSmart hubs. This tubeless wheelset has an internal width of 24mm and should be about 980g. I am also looking at a set of Brisk Tubular Hubs laced with their proprietary carbon-titanium spokes to the same Extralite hubs. This tubular wheelset has a width of 23mm and will weigh about 740g.
My questions is whether I should get the lighter tublar set, or forgo the weight savings for the ease of use of the tubeless? Again- they are climbing wheels as I already have 2 other sets of relatively light tubeless wheels for daily use. I plan on selling either the Hyper Wheels or the Craft wheels one way or the other.
Let me know what you think- or if there are other light options I am not thinking of.
Just for reference, assuming the tires weigh the same (tubeless vs. tubular) that 240 gm saving would let you climb about 0.05 mph faster on a 6% grade. That means after an hour of climbing, you would be 250 feet farther up the road than your identical self on the tubeless wheelset. Only you can decide whether this advantage is worth the hassle of tubulars. And just so you can't accuse me of "What do you know about tubulars?" I rode them for 30 years when if you wanted light weight and performance, tubulars were pretty much the only option.