Thread: Zone 2 Rides
View Single Post
Old 12-21-23, 04:26 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 507 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Interesting article but long...not a criticism. With respect to mitochondria biogenesis, it seems murky. What I know is that 4 billion years ago, mitochondria merged with simple life to set the stage for humans today. Mitochondria is a separate life form with its own DNA. And we get our mitochondria from our mother via her egg. Thank your mom for your mitochondria. Does mitochondria density change over time due to training stimulus - biogenesis? Not clear. I am not sure that it matters to us since we know that we need more time on the bike if we want to ride longer. Also, cells need to "ask" the mitochondria to make ATP. The communication may be corrupted due to aging...one theory. Does exercise improve communication/fix corrupted communication between cells and mitochondria?

I have been very interested in the role that blood plays in aerobic power. Increase hematocrit and there is more oxygen capability of the blood. What happens to mitochondria when faced with MORE oxygen than is needed? Does that cause biogenesis and or increase in respiration or enzyme activity?

And when it comes to hematocrit the kidneys are the boss. They determine blood volume and signal the bone marrow to make more red blood cells and thicken the blood. More oxygen capability of the blood supply that occurs naturally (no drugs) improves aerobic performance and recovery. Long distance riding destroys red blood cells which have to be replaced during recovery. Intensity, on the other hand, creates a hypoxic condition that causes the kidneys request the bone marrow to make more red blood cells. Of course, intensity will also destroy red blood cells.

So the training question is what is the correct prescription for 1. mitochondria biogenesis / increases in enzymes and 2. increases in blood hematocrit and 3. individual genetics. Very complicated.

However, one can measure blood in the lab and get feedback on blood markers as well as kidney filtration and other markers to see if diet and training are improving blood. Mitochondria performance is too tough to measure and not practical.
Let me see if I got some of this. Mitochondria function beneficially by delivering ATP to cells upon a demand of some sort. It's not clear how sensitively this control function is regulated, nor if the dynamics of the response, say in fast actions, are always adequate or optimal. It's not clear how to measure mitochondrial action of this sort is measured effectively. We do have significant evidence that mitochondrial action at least has measurable and beneficial effects, so it is important to consider it in athletic nutrition and its influence on effective training program. We also seem to have a belief that "long, steady distance" (perhaps the same as conventional Zones 1 or 2 riding or Seilor's Zone 1) are training zones which promote mitochondrial action or the potential for mitochondrial action when demanded.

I need to map out a training plan for the year. I rarely satisfy plans fully, but I do more if i have one than if I don't.