nakota
dabbler

Bikes: Raleigh M20, ActionBent Tadpole

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phoebeisis
nakota-he had to slow down?Hmmm,this mutt ran between the moving cars to get him at a redlight?This dog was the exception,but it makes my point;his significant injuries weren't from the bite,they were from the fall.Riders should make every effort to keep moving and keep their eyes on the real danger-the cars.
It is an extremely rare dog that will pursue a biker thru traffic.
I stand by my contention.The sort of bite you can get from a scruffy little mutt isn't a significant injury.The significant injuries are from concentrating on the mutt-grabbing pepper spray-activating it(wind)-and riding right into a car or a curb.IT IS A MISTAKE TO CONCENTRATE ON THE DOG;IT IS A MINOR ANNOYANCE.THE INJURY IS FROM CRASHING WHILE CONCENTRATING ON THE MUTT!
Now this is assuming the dog isn't a fighting breed with a large head and powerful jaws-pitbulls-Rotts etc.All bets are off with these mutts.I would still bet that a downshift with increased speed would be the safest play,but...
Increase your speed and concentrate on not crashing-the danger is from the crash,not the bite.Cars,curbs and humans kill adult bike riders-not dogs;the pepper spray is for the 2 legged predators.Your suggestion that riders should actively engage the mutts just isn't the smart play.They will end up bounced by a car-dead- while avoiding a 1/1000 chance of a minor bite.Charlie
I didn't say anything about him slowing down or a red light. Neither was involved. Please don't rewrite my comment to fit your argument.

Once more: Dog chased rider, dog hit rider, dog took chunk out of rider. Rider was knocked down, rider fell INTO the path of a car coming up from behind. Fortunately, the driver was able to stop.

Which of those injuries wasn't significant? I'm sure you're not referring to the missing flesh and the rabies shots.

In the example I cited, ignoring the dog (and the hazard it posed) was precisely what caused the rider's injuries.

If he had not assumed it couldn't catch him or hurt him, he more than likely wouldn't have gotten hurt.

Being smart will keep you intact.