View Single Post
Old 12-25-23, 04:41 PM
John Martin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Friends...I started another thread (Europe bicycle route) but it had very few hits. This thread, on the other hand, has many -- and (to me) valuable -- comments. Maybe I can respond to some of those comments and give an update to my thinking about a long ride in Europe by an old man.

Most important, you have convinced me to take my own bike ("Mike the Bike", a 2002 Bruce Gordon Rock 'n Road). Someone suggested the names of two bike shipping companies. I'll buy what appears to be a well engineered box from one of them and travel with my bike. I'll purposefully limit my flight connections to minimize issues with airlines. I've located a shuttle outfit that will take me all the way to the airport (Atlanta) so that I don't have to deal with the metro system.

You have also made me see the light regarding my intention to limit my route to loops. With careful attention to railroad rules I can easily return to the start (where my bike box will be waiting!!).

Nominally, I'll ride 30 miles per day with a rest day after each 3 days. Some of that will depend on availability of B&B's. I'll be doing no camping. Depending on the route I finally choose, my time away will be 15 days plus or minus 2. This will likely happen starting in late May. I LOVE being retired!!

I don't know what language I'll experience -- route not chosen yet. I speak only English and Southern but language hasn't been a problem to me yet in my travels.

I feel lucky to have landed in a place (on the forums) that is populated by thinking and helpful individuals. Thank you . John Martin