View Single Post
Old 12-25-23, 10:00 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3523 Post(s)
Liked 1,500 Times in 1,172 Posts
Originally Posted by John Martin
Friends...I started another thread (Europe bicycle route) but it had very few hits. This thread, on the other hand, has many -- and (to me) valuable -- comments. Maybe I can respond to some of those comments and give an update to my thinking about a long ride in Europe by an old man.

Most important, you have convinced me to take my own bike ("Mike the Bike", a 2002 Bruce Gordon Rock 'n Road). Someone suggested the names of two bike shipping companies. I'll buy what appears to be a well engineered box from one of them and travel with my bike. I'll purposefully limit my flight connections to minimize issues with airlines. I've located a shuttle outfit that will take me all the way to the airport (Atlanta) so that I don't have to deal with the metro system.

You have also made me see the light regarding my intention to limit my route to loops. With careful attention to railroad rules I can easily return to the start (where my bike box will be waiting!!).

Nominally, I'll ride 30 miles per day with a rest day after each 3 days. Some of that will depend on availability of B&B's. I'll be doing no camping. Depending on the route I finally choose, my time away will be 15 days plus or minus 2. This will likely happen starting in late May. I LOVE being retired!!

I don't know what language I'll experience -- route not chosen yet. I speak only English and Southern but language hasn't been a problem to me yet in my travels.

I feel lucky to have landed in a place (on the forums) that is populated by thinking and helpful individuals. Thank you . John Martin
I have not been in Europe since the start of Covid, so I do not know if HI Hostels are operating the way they used to, but I often preferred hostels when I wanted to sleep indoors. You can be as social as you wish or as anti-social as you wish. And often there are others that you can talk to and perhaps go to the pub together, etc. I find it a much more pleasant way to travel than being a solo traveler alone in a hotel. I usually made reservations a few days in advance if I wanted to stay at hostels that I was concerned might fill up. But my travels have mostly been camping, not sleeping indoors.

Do you anticipate packing the bike in the box yourself or have a local bike shop do it?

There are several youtube videos on that topic, some pack better than others. I bought my road bike new from in the original packaging from the manufacturer, I took some photos of it immediately after I took it out of the box but before I did any more unpacking. Photos below, the third photo is a blow up of the rear derailleur area.

In the photo below, the small box had a lot of the small parts like pedals, skewers, etc.

I usually suggest removal of the rear derailleur and i find it easier to remove the chain too. The manufactuer shipped it with derailleur attached, but note that it had the chain on the largest cog so that the derailleur was inward instead of outward and also note that there was a large plastic spacer on the end of the axle that held the rear derailleur away from the side of the box so that it was less likely that a side impact to the box could put the derailleur out of alignment. That said, if this was my bike, the chain and rear derailleur would have been removed, but the rear derailleur cable would still be attached and in adjustment.

Lots of zip ties were used. If you use zip ties, a good side cutter makes removal very fast, or if you do not have one, a toe nail clipper also works great on zip ties.

Have a great trip.