View Single Post
Old 12-27-23, 11:13 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1435 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 221 Posts
Originally Posted by rowerek
Greenville SC area is in Piedmont region, it has some hills, most are moderate and rolling. In general one rarely sees a cyclist on the roads around Greenville, it is just not as popular as in other places and, what is far more important, not so safe. Cars, pickups rule the roads, cyclists are rarity, and only hard core would venture for longer rides on the surrounding country roads.
However, Greenville has Swamp Rabbit Trail system, very popular and highly recommended. Overall, Greenville is a good place to live, attractive downtown area, affordable housing (with the exception of the city center), mild climate, good health system, many recreational opportunities - well governed city.

https://greenvillerec.com/swamprabbit/
Thanks for the report. I'll be just a couple of miles south of Conestee trails. My new Surly Lowside is rocking 2.8" rubber for a reason. There are a couple of miles of very busy no-shoulder roads that I plan on riding the grassy berms whenever necessary. From Conestee i can hit quiet roads, bike lanes, wider roads, to access the Swamp Rabbit in two different locations. From there I can get just about anywhere in town. I'm more of an urban assault kind of rider anyway. The cowboys and hillbillies can rodeo those country roads in their diesel dualies to their heart's content. No fear of me getting in their way. And I have a couple of camo jerseys that should endear me to most of them.