View Single Post
Old 12-28-23, 09:48 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3505 Post(s)
Liked 1,490 Times in 1,163 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
My first exposure to white water was in the 1970s in a Grumman, and it left me not particularly enthusiastic about the experience. 15 years later, same river in some sort of plastic canoe made me realize the aluminum really was great -- at sticking to any rock it brushed against!
I have never had any interest in white water, but have a lot of experience in Boundary Waters in northern Minnesota and in Canada across the border. Before Kevlar canoes were invented, Grumman and Alumacraft canoes were the standard up there, and of those the Grumman was the preferred choice as it had better rivets. The 18 foot is only one foot longer than the 17, but in rough weather with bigger waves that extra foot really helps hold a straighter line. And of course, the lightweight version for portages. But, my Grumman has not been in the water for at least two decades, I bought a Wenona Minnesota II canoe for those trips in the mid 1990s. And six years ago traded that Wenona in on a new Wenona solo canoe, my old canoeing partner decided he was too old for those trips, thus now I need a solo canoe for those trips, I prefer a kayak paddle in a solo.

It is my understanding that a fairly new plastic canoe is best for white water, new enough that the plastic does not crack.

I do not even have a photo of the Grumman in the water, it has not been in the water since I bought my first digital camera. My newer solo canoe, below. It is Kevlar, less than 40 pounds.