Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 2,358 Times in 1,138 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak

(By the way: no, an EPS-lined helmet won't protect you from a hit from a speeding car. To argue, as some posters here are prone to do, that such a helmet is therefore useless for a bike rider is like arguing that steel and Kevlar helmets are useless for ground troops because they won't protect against a direct hit from a mortar shell.)
Agreed. I haven't read the entire thread or even all of the last page or the recently linked article. But I've never worn a helmet expecting much protection from a vehicle at speed. While getting hit from a car or truck is certainly in the realm of possibility, it fortunately has not happened. What has happened is getting ran off the path by an inattentive rider, or an e-bike going too fast. I've crashed due to wet roads, loose gravel or mud and while I did not have a head impact if I had I would have been glad to have had the helmet. I've had close calls from people backing out of driveways, right hooks or pulling out in front of me at intersections.

It makes no sense to not wear a helmet because it can't protect against things beyond its design limits.

Likes For Chuck M: