View Single Post
Old 01-01-24, 12:53 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1000 Post(s)
Liked 540 Times in 433 Posts
Originally Posted by pbekkerh
I used to have 62T but went down to 53. It's my townbike and I'll just freewheel downhill.

35$ expensive? Makes your life easier, protects your 100-400$ computers for less than one good tyre!!
Yeah with my 50x11 top gear on 20"/406, so 85 gear inches, I can pedal down a gentle incline, but coast for steeper. I don't need the speed of pedaling down grades, but for a lot of coasting, it does wear the freehub bearings more. When I regrease the main hub bearings, I try to drip some gear lube into the freehub bearings, but those tiny bearing balls still wear the most, with resulting lateral play in the cassette, and that's the most frequent cause to replace the freehub body, usually greater cost than the cassette, and a pain in making sure I order the correct freehub body, and I need to guess by weight and moment arm length on the correct bolt torque, as I don't have a long enough allen socket to use a torque wrench.

$35 is not too bad, and would pay for itself in easier repair on a tour. I could also lay the bike down on its side, but inverted is better. Making the tripods multi-purpose, like having a camera mount, would be a plus. To space up a computer tower, those don't look stable (at first I thought they were computer stands used for bike, but I see they are designed to interface with bike handlebars and not a computer); I would just use a couple bricks . But I think they make better stands for a tower computer.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 01-01-24 at 12:58 AM.