View Single Post
Old 01-01-24, 08:58 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3940 Post(s)
Liked 4,940 Times in 2,277 Posts
My earliest test ride on Ti in the 90's, Litespeed's tourer, left me unimpressed = bit whippy for me. I test rode a Merlin years later and was blown away by the ride. It had some new Reynolds carbon wheels that may have made the difference. The Merlin price was high for a family man.

In 2006, I got the bug again for Ti. Rode a Dean, a LeMond and a Moots with the (minimal) rear suspension. And 'thought' I could discern an improved ride quality over steel. I found an off-brand Macalu from Excel Sports (Boulder) - NOS frame and fork - welded in Colorado.

My Macalu may not be a Moots or a Strong or a DeSalvo - but it delivers every ride. The oversize tubing (top, down & chainstays) keeps it stiff enough for my 190lb body on a (large) 59cm frame and triple rings. Absolutely a 'go to' bike for tough rides. In the picture below riding a FS paved(?) road near Rainier, St Helens (east side), Adams. Also, the bike chosen to ride across (west to east) Washington State.

I usually recommend buying the best bike you can afford, but for an older recreational cyclist the top of th line road bikes offer diminishing benefits as the price goes up. If you buy from a well established manufacturer and put quality wheels and supple tires you won't be disappointed.

Here's mine. I would love a custom Ti from Mike DeSalvo. Buy whatever bike blows your socks off.

Instead of Moots, I'll take a full custom builder. Why custom? = perfect fit beats all, and in my perfect colorway.

Last edited by Wildwood; 01-08-24 at 06:46 PM.