Old 01-01-24, 11:19 AM
ve9vic

Bikes: giant cypress 2013, Panorama Forillon 2023

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
When you say "but I cannot use 46/46", if that is because you do not have enough chain links, if you ever accidentally shift into that gear you could do some damage. I try to avoid shifting into cross chained gears, but on some long, tiring days, it happens.

If that is the case, I suggest you add two links. It is better to lose the ability to use your smallest couple cogs with your smallest granny gear due to insufficient derailleur cage to take up the slack than to accidentally shift into the big and big.
Yes the chain is not long enough to get up there 46/46, I could probably use 30/42, on my former bicycle I had 36/22 with a cassette 11/42, but with 36 being the biggest on my
Chain ring I was spinning too much, now with 46 on my new bicycle, it is much better, here where I live there are a lot of hills, 6% up to 12% grade, I only use the big chain ring 46 going down and yes I have to be careful. At the moment, I try to experiment with different chain ring in my shop during winter. The only place where I can find chain ring of different sizes is WHITE INDUSTRIES, good, but very expensive.
Plus I will have to use their BB of 30mm