Thread: Totally Tubular
View Single Post
Old 01-03-24, 11:52 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4882 Post(s)
Liked 4,048 Times in 2,625 Posts
Originally Posted by seagrade
Although it looks otherwise there’s sufficient clearance under the rear brake and seat stay bridge for the 30mm tubular fitted, both when initially fitted and centred and as it is now rolled a few degrees from centred. Maybe 2-3mm clearance the caliper arm at the centre bolt, more everywhere else. The fork is a different story with clearance for a 25mm Vittoria and no more.

I’m about to remove the tubular but I’m pretty sure the base tape remains securely attached. My initial suspicion is that in spite of cleaning the base tape with isopropyl alcohol some residue from the Carogna tape remains and hasn’t played well with the Continental cement. Will report back for those with a passing interest in such esoterica…
Were you setting the tire down on wet cement or cement that had tacked up nicely to grab the tire when you laid it down? I like to wait 15-25 minutes after the last glue before mounting the tire. Now some tires are not sewn evenly and want to sit a little off. They probably need the tackiest glue to keep them from going to their natural position. (And some stay a little off no matter how hard you try. Get better tires. And I think Vittoria has had teething issues with their factory in Asia. Those Open Paves may have been from that time. The Corsa G+ (I assume; most have come information free but they look very similar to the clincher equivalents) 28s I've used have been pretty darn sweet! Mount as nice as anything I've ever used. I bet your 28s will go on nicely.

If it were me, I'd just ride the heck out of those 30s and do my best not to look! Done many miles on crooked sewups and nothing bad ever happened. And I love Open Paves. Never ridden them in tubular simply because I went back two years ago and they were passe.