View Single Post
Old 01-04-24, 09:31 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 812 Posts
Originally Posted by L134
And this is a touring forum. SP may be good for a commute when you know it is going to rain and don't have to worry much about it wetting-out. I used SP jacket to ride to Alaska in 2022 and I was cold and wet practically the whole time and that damn thing got so heavy with water. One of the guys in our group had a ShakeDry and claimed he was never wet or cold. I was skeptical but so miserable with the SP that when I got home I put the SP in the trash, bought a ShakeDry and became a believer. After one week tour this past August, my three buddies on the tour all bought ShakeDry jackets after seeing how well mine performed compared to what they were very unhappy with. I bought a second when I read they were going to discontinue manufacture of the material due to environmental concerns. I'm a cheap accountant and will say if you are going to ride in real rain, they are worth the expense. Even for commuting, I find the ShakeDry far superior to SP because it is so light and compact. I don't have to decide whether to go with windbreaker or a heavy, bulky rain jacket. The ShakeDry performs better either way and if it winds up not being needed, it stuffs into a jersey pocket easily. I'm sort of embarrassed to be so sold on them.
do you have any brand recommendations about these ShakeDry things? Or are they not made anymore at all by anyone? I'm just curious and would like to read up on them.
re wetting out, I can't tell you how much I was impressed by how a proper wash of my rain pants and then following the instructions carefully with reapplying the DWR stuff, really made the pants to not wet out anymore. They had been good for years, and just recently would get a wet in areas, but this really helped. I bought a big bottle of the stuff, so will regularly do the wash and reapply from now on, I'm sure it will make a big difference over time.

I guess also, price is a factor, I assume the shakedry things are pretty expensive?
cheers