View Single Post
Old 01-05-24, 11:41 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6284 Post(s)
Liked 4,323 Times in 2,422 Posts
Like most here, I rode bikes as a kid. Had a paper route and even manage to put a paper into the spokes and flipped the bike on the scariest part of my route right at the scariest part of the last house on my route 2 miles out of town. Probably like most here, I stopped riding in my teens and started driving. I probably would have gotten into motorcycles but my mother had a standard response to any motor related hobbies I might have pursued…”You’ll kill yourself.” My younger brother, on the other hand, got the motorcycle and Camaro without the warning. I got stuck with a 73 Vega instead of the 454 Chevelle SS. Thanks, Mom

Shortly after I got married in 1976…I was 10…, my wife took me roller skating and managed to break my ankle. It was her fault for taking me skating and convincing me that I was getting better at it. I had let go of the wall and was even enjoying myself until I found myself flying through the air and landing on the rink surface with a loud “crunch” in my ankle. I had signed up for an exercise/weight loss class before I went skating and, after getting a pin, plate, and two screws to hold my ankle together, the walking/running part of the class was out.

I still had my Sears 10 speed that my parents let me buy in the late 60s…no admonishment about “killing myself” from my mother…so I started riding that. Here I am, nearly 50 years later, and I haven’t missed riding at least once in every month since then. Over 600 months of riding despite getting hit by a car, breaking my ankle another time, raising of kids, winter storms, and summer heat as well as countless crashes.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute: