Old 01-08-24, 02:55 AM
roshgosh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
I changed out my 9-speed down tube shifters for a Shimergo setup and now my '84 Trek 620 gets to be in this club! The impetus for this was keeping (yet upgrading) a recently-acquired '83 Trek 560 in it's original layout. So it got the taller gearing for increased downhill capability and enjoyment and I got to put on 9/10-speed Campy Ergo shifters on a bike again.

I'd scored a pair of really nice 9-speed (old pull ratio) Daytona Ergos a long while back, and a 10-speed Chorus long cage rear derailleur for a song more recently. Old-pull 9 shifting plus new-pull 10-speed derailleur actuation calcs out to 8-speed Shimano cassette spacing. And since a Campy triple front derailleur can't hack my very-inset Shimano triple, the Suntour Blueline remains. Front and rear shifting is that lovely Campy style and is only sullied slightly by that other occasional endearing Campagnolo feature: broken or worn internal parts that need replacing. The vertical post of the G-spring carrier is broken, so while it allows full shifting with great feel, I can use either lever to essentially (and accidentally) "trim" the rear derailleur while in gear. Not good for reliable shifting!

Between the more convenient shifting, more supportive and comfortable brake levers, and greater brake leverage, the 620 is a delight--a surprise improvement over an already good/great bike.

Clean rebuild. I like your solutions regarding the different components. How many teeth on that smallest plateau?
Likes For roshgosh: