View Single Post
Old 01-08-24, 08:24 AM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
My basic reply is that as a bike commuter I became tired of shifting the chainrings up front while at the same time became a single speed mountain biker.

​​​​​​I also developed a tendonitis from the front shifter, it was the barcon on the end of a drop bar.

​​​​​​Additionally, and made worse by suboptimal cable routing schemes of the frames I rode, I would have to change the cable, ferrules, and housing more often than I'd like.

We used to tandem road ride a lot too, with a triple, and when it came down to riding a single bike I actually liked the big jumps between gears vs a finer spread.

It is true double chainrings with a front mech are probably the better system overall. At least that's my opinion.

I have to say I am truly considering putting a front derailleur on a bike again.