View Single Post
Old 01-09-24, 11:45 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5043 Post(s)
Liked 8,291 Times in 3,918 Posts
Originally Posted by Jrasero
Not that I disagree with your takes, but these unwritten rules and the ability to take a proper photos abiding to these rules IMO have been and always will be arbitrary nonsense. Again, I don't disagree that my valves aren't unaligned and gearing isn't right, I simply disagree on a personal level that it even matters. If someone takes a picture of a Ferrari but the valve caps aren't align that IMO doesn't make it less of a car, maybe aestically for a picture it peeves some people but it's still a super car. If Margot Robbie isn't smiling, slouching, and wearing a hoodie she still is Margot Robbie and is insanely beautiful. Again, you will hear no resistance in me that I didn't follow these unwritten bike photo taking rules, but again I argue that these are bikes and not photography composition rules. In the end with these rules you could have a Huffy bike and as long as it followed these arbitrary rules it technically could be considered "hot". So I ask the question is it bike that matters or is it the rules?
Again...this thread is about unreasonable judgement and criticism. It is light-hearted, playful, arbitrary nonsense. You are absolutely correct that it doesn't matter in the real world.

That said, in terms of the framework of what this thread is about, the bike itself is the biggest factor. An un-hot bike does not become hot because of aligned valve stems, crank position, and/or gear selection. These things don't add hot points. Those points can only be deducted. A bike with significant hot potential can be cooled by setup, accessories, color choices, and misalignment. Generally speaking, the standard of comparison for setup is pro road bikes, and the staging/alignment guidelines this community has established. This thread is the equivalent of the swimsuit competition portion of a beauty pageant.

Also...I REALLY like your Scott.