View Single Post
Old 01-10-24, 06:41 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,190 Times in 1,334 Posts
Just to clarify, my wife is not exhibiting severe balance issues. She sometimes loses her balance a bit, but so will I at times and I was surfing up until a few years ago. She can go up and down stairs, sometimes without holding onto the rail. We do go for walks on a regular basis.

I "think" her main issue is some decline in balance, though not severe, and an enormous decline in confidence on a bike, especially when stopping. Although it has been a couple of years since she rode, she didn't show a problem when she is moving. We have a lot of hills where we live and I know she is worried about that, but I told her we would ride a beach path. In talking about this, she asked if she could "try" to fall over on the bike once we come up with the best way to go. I told that I would test the falling part.

I have done the shorter stem, more saddle offset, so get her toes to touch when stopping on her old bike; without totally eliminating all leg extension when pedaling.

Right now, since I have the frame and all the components to build it, so I'll do that. I am inclined to try the Swinging Wheels and see how well they work. I'll pop the saddle up and ride it first so I'll understand if/how they will work.

But I am open to other ideas to get her riding and not worrying about falling over.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 01-10-24 at 06:45 PM.