Old 01-10-24, 08:38 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked 158 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Maybe helmet colour is simply not that important. When I see a cyclist on the road, the first thing I notice is whether or not they have lights. Second is the colour of their jersey and any reflective patches. Would a hi-vis helmet make much difference? Maybe it would if you didn’t have lights and was wearing a black jersey. Otherwise I’m not convinced it matters. I have seen a few helmets with integrated lights which caught my attention.
I have a Garmin Varia blinking away on the rear, and depending on conditions, I have up to two blinkies going on the front.

I got the helmet after realizing that most of my attire was predominantly black. Even my late-fall/winter jersey is an "Overcast Sky" grey, and my warmest bibs are a "Worn Pavement" grey.

I agree, as both a driver and a cyclist who notices other cyclists, lights are best for getting noticed from further away (I personally think a fast blinky is the best kind of blinky). Then reflectivity, then bright colors last - they're only helpful when there's actually light, and that can be hard to find at this time of year. That said, if a bright yellow helmet helps a car notice me half a second sooner, or a bright yellow glove gets them to notice my signal earlier, then I'm all for those pieces of kit.
Likes For aliasfox: