cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 454 Posts
Originally Posted by Dockhead
Then there's this: https://www.vaastbikes.eu/e1 and here: https://www.vaastbikes.eu/model-e-1-rohloff/
Full suspension bike (unlike all the others I'm looking at), and with an extremely cool rear suspension setup.
Good racks and carrying
Does not have the top CX Bosch motor.
But it has ROHLOFF [drool]
With the very low bottom gear in the Rohloff, the more powerful CX motor might not be needed (and battery will last longer).
It's being sold by one German dealer on Ebay for €5800, so €2.5k less than the comparable Riese & Müller, which has the top Bosch motor but no rear suspension.
This is intriguing. My Jetstream has a high end full suspension on it which I'm very grateful for (cobblestones, curbstones, etc.), but it's more important with the little 20" wheels, than it would be in this application.
I just came into the realm of e-bikes (from road & MTB), mainly for transport locally, other errands not requiring a car.
Given where you are, a certain versatility is probably a key consideration..
The VAAST looks really interesting, versatile, and covers a lot of bases and techy at the latest, highest level.
I'm just at the point of learning and using e-bikes, so not a lot to offer - not knowing how you like to make decisions on use and useful things - I have found, for myself, that I learn the most by actually 'using/doing' with whatever the activity might be, and also relate to the equipment needed that way.
You say the VAAST can be had for 5300 -ish Euro, that's still a quite sizeable cost/outlay... One I wouldn't want to find needs 'changing', after making/spending' for it.
I find, for me is buying something at a much lower cost, which covers much of what my first impressions/considerations might be. Then I USE it for some extensive period which provides me the education of 'actual use'. Which always seems to have me change and readjust my priorities for the equipment; which then makes me more satisfied in the long run. Then I can really understand and buy a longer term suitable 'thing', to fill my needs/desires. And re-sell the 'learning thing...
... seems to work well for me...
I bought a good quality Chinese e-bike, which seemed to cover most of the bases. Now, some months into the use of the e-bike, I have a much clearer understanding of the machines and clear understanding of what will work for me, in the long term. I'll sell the one I currently have, in good condition, and have a small 'tuition' cost based on what I get as a selling price.
Well worth the cost to get the Education I derived from the 1st e-bike's use...
might this work for you ? just a thought....
Ride On
Yuri
The VAAST seems very nice in many ways - but now having to lug around a 28 Kg (62 lb) bike - a 36 Kg (80 lb) bike would be a very undesirable daily annoyance.... for me...