View Single Post
Old 01-12-24, 12:05 PM
allan6344

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I am a reformed chain slob who would just add more lube before the next commute until the dirt and grit wore the chain out. Now I use the Silca wax in a two 1.5 quart, 14 dollar, crock pot system as suggested by zerofriction.com.au. I just store the two pots on the workbench with wax. Pot one is the paraffin wax and pot two is the Silca wax. I put the chain in the first paraffin wax pot and turn them both on low and come back a little later in the evening and put the chain in pot two, swish it around and hang it up to drip into the now turned off pots. A little extra time before riding to reinstall the chain and overall this doesn't take much time every two or three weeks depending on conditions. Eventually after about 30 cycles, the first pot is thrown out and the second pot becomes the first pot with clean wax in the second pot. The initial cleaning of new chains is the biggest pain of the system. I do like and use some of the Silca products but I take the charlatan/engineer with a grain of salt and don't quite believe everything. I'm not quite convinced the super secret chain cleaner isn't just some repackaged common solvent but I will probably give it a try. Zerofriction doesn't always have his latest info published but he will talk about it on his Friday YouTube channel for the too much information people.