Old 01-12-24, 05:27 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1450 Post(s)
Liked 2,041 Times in 1,155 Posts
Originally Posted by NocoRider
I'm in the process of converting a Trek Singletrack (26" wheels). It came with a suspension fork which is trashed and really heavy. I'd like to find a rigid replacement made of good quality steel (Tange, True Temper, etc). I'd even consider carbon. Most of what I've been able to find are forks weighing 1,100 g (2.4 pounds)!!!

I've looked on eBay but since the frame is 22", all of the used forks have steerer tubes that are too short.

Recommendations anyone?
check LBS for forks - many times they will have an inventory of rigid take off forks … could get lucky and find a suitable rigid Trek fork

might need to determine crown to axle length to ensure the replacement fork provides the correct geometry (?)

have not checked out a Trek rigid fork recently - but have checked out some early 90’s Schwinn Paramount forks … the weights of the four forks I weighed were 760 to 880 g … (steerer lengths varied - 5.5 “ to 6.75 “)

some of the aftermarket aluminum and carbon forks for 26” bikes are around the same weight