View Single Post
Old 01-12-24, 05:31 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5875 Post(s)
Liked 2,724 Times in 1,520 Posts
What some people are missing is that this thread IS NOT about Li-ion batteries, per se.

These have proven themselves to be very reasonably safe --- if manufactured and used properly.

It's about trying to reduce hazards caused by poor quality batteries, and/or improperly matched chargers.

Just about every electrical device in the USA, from building wiring and panels, down to handheld electronics conforms to UL, CE, ANSI, or other standards to ensure fire and shock safety.

It borders on the incomprensible that the sizable batteries in E-bikes have fallen through the cracks, and been left there so long.

The point is that it's very possible to build and charge Li-ion batteries safely, but we have not chosen (so far) to deal with those suppliers who simply don't bother having any quality standards.

IMO, while state and local regulations are a start, we need to adopt national standards and block shoddy E-bike electricals at the POE, the same way we do other hazardous items.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 01-13-24 at 02:57 AM.
Likes For FBinNY: