RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 864 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCaled
What I was warned not to! It went about as well as expected

I have 2 bikes with Deore DX trigger shifters that are sticky/not functioning properly. Conventional wisdom seems to be to just replace them or flood with WD-40 and keep shifting and repeat until you get them un-gunked. On one bike this has nearly worked. I wanted to just add thumb shifters but the brakes are integrated and cutting the shifter off seemed like a pain to get to look nice. On the other bike the right shifter wouldn't move at all, fully stuck. I knew it was opening a can of worms to try to open these, but really didn't have a choice. My understanding is the main reason not to open is losing springs/small parts and finicky to put back together. Well, I didn't get that far, went to remove the nut and with almost no effort sheared off the "post". Right shifter is now toast, guess I have parts for the others. Thumb shifters it is! (or will be).
One of my winter/spring projects will be to degunk a full box of trigger shifters in the ultrasonic cleaner. These were pulled from bikes this past fall - those bikes got shifters that were degunked last spring/summer. And so on.
Likes For RCMoeur: