View Single Post
Old 01-14-24, 11:26 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6286 Post(s)
Liked 4,329 Times in 2,425 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
see that is where we totally disagree....I can change a rear tire without gloves and then take a leak with out getting my unit greasy......see simpleton minded folk like myself look at the world completely different than people like you. I am 100% serious there is no way you could fit into my world and no way I into yours and because of it the world is a better place and Silca will keep on making money selling hot wax. Hot example if we were riding together and I got a flat I would would pull my wheel and whip out my Park patch kit and you would say whoa wait you should use a rema kit as it is the only one that works and I would be like dude I have tubes that are still holding air for 10 years that were patched with a Park kit.......then you would tell me but it will eventually fail as it is not chemically the proper bonding agent or something like that.....our brains think totally different and that is ok...but remember your purpose is not everyone's purpose.
I can clean a chain cleaner than you could ever clean it using my knowledge of chemistry. I can go through multiple cleaning steps that make more chemical sense than anything that has been presented by Silca, Zero Friction, or some yahoo with an 8th grade education (see what I did there?).

My point is that all of those steps are completely unnecessary. The difference between you and me is that I know why the extra steps are unnecessary and a complete waste of time, chemicals, and money. My results would be exactly the same as the elaborate cleaning steps people do…i.e. clean drivetrain compared to oil, less mess with regard to oil, less need to clean constantly compared to oil, and similar mileage compared to any other lubrication system. The only difference is that I can do that without having to do a lot of extra unnecessary work.

I’m not against waxing. I’m just against unnecessary work purported to absolutely necessary for a brand new chain. While a new chain from the factory may be coated in a wax lubricant, the chain has been cleaned much better during the manufacturing process than you can clean it at home. It simply doesn’t need the amount of cleaning that people purport it does. If the chain were a used chain that had been lubricated with oil, yes, use a multistep cleaning system…although several rinses with mineral spirits would be all that is needed…prior to waxing.

New chain? Nothing really extra needed.

As for changing wheels, I don’t get my hands dirty when fixing flats because I can do it without handling the chain at all. Even the example I gave above of an absolutely filthy bike, I took the wheel out and put it back without having to handle the chain.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 01-14-24 at 11:33 AM.