View Single Post
Old 01-15-24, 10:15 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 2,199 Times in 1,337 Posts
I’m glad that helped. Before you buy a different bike, you do need to understand the geometry differences, in your case one important dimension is stack.

Your 54 Allez is 561 and the 56 Domain is 591. Your Crossroads is 605.

Basically the higher the stack, the more upright. Older bikes with quill stems allowed the rider to tweak the stack (so to speak, since if effects the handle bar height not the actual frame stack height) by raising and lowering the stem.

If I were you, I’d ride the Crossroads on your 20 mile ride and see how it goes. If the higher bars seem to be better, I’d flip the stem, or get a new stem to raise the bars. This may impact the cable/housing length, so plan on replacing them.

The last piece is saddle tilt. My road bike, tops below saddle, the tilt is pretty level. My mountain bike bar above the saddle, the nose is tilted up slightly. I’m not a fitter, so you can ignore what I think. But saddle tilt can impact how much weight is on the arms/hands. "Generally" nose down will shift more weight to arms and nose up will move the weight to your rear end. I tend to tilt up till it hurts. Well not really till it hurts, but I have a micro adjust clamp on my seat post, where I can make tweaks on a new saddle while out riding until I get it set.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 01-15-24 at 11:49 AM.