View Single Post
Old 01-16-24, 06:56 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Roy are you a plumber? How can I leak check a PVC manifold for a vacuum system. I was told not to pressurize and use snoop because it could fail in a dangerous way?? 2 inch pvc probably a hundred feet or so, don’t want to put water in it. I care about leaks more than normal because it’s going to be under a higher vacuum than say a standard central vacuum for a house.

what do people normally do? Maybe some smoke that doesn’t leave a bad residue? In the cartoon Avatar: The Last Airbender they used rotten eggs for something similar checked for smell.

i feel like i am being lied to when they say it’s dangerous to snoop
Peppermint oil if you can seal the opening . someone puts it in and someone else does the smell check . If you can access it and if it is safe to do so you could run the vacuum and run a candle flame near the joints. It will pull the flame towards a leak. You can buy wind indicator at bow hunting supply store that puts out powder it would pull that towards leaks if running. PVC is rated for 5 pounds of air that is what we test sanitary systems at. At higher pressure it can come apart violently