View Single Post
Old 01-17-24, 02:35 PM
Alan K

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I am not exactly sure what you are saying, but I think you are saying you might try to build a light or re-build a light. Many of the light models change frequently, so I think you would find they are up to date for tech.

I think the current lights out there are plenty adequate, but most of the dynohub powered lights are designed for on-road German standards, a low flat beam for adequate lighting and not wasting light up higher or putting light into oncoming car drivers eyes.

And then there are the lights that have a flashlight beam with a round pattern, which off-road riders may prefer. I am quite happy with the B&M lights that have 70 or more Lux for on-road use or for rail trails. I have B&M dyno powered headlamps on four bikes.

I bought most of my lights from European internet sellers, was quite happy with their pricing. Some of the European sellers have a very high shipping fee for the first item, but additional items do not add to that cost.
Yes, I meant to update the LED emitter within the light. If these companies are keeping up with increasingly efficient versions of Cree emitter, for instance, that’s even better news.

There have been a couple of occasions when riding during the night time, my battery was on its last leg and it wasn’t fun riding in the night on poorly lit or unlit bike trails. Fortunately, I had a second small flashlight (used as a blinking light in the front), which I used as the main light and I made it home safely. Ever since then, I have had spare charger and a battery at work to avoid a recurrence of that experience. Using a dynamo based light takes care of the problem quite nicely.