View Single Post
Old 01-18-24, 09:52 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4847 Post(s)
Liked 3,980 Times in 2,584 Posts
Originally Posted by BMC_Kid
Very nice Pro-Miyata! Looks like it is all original and in very nice condition. Hope you get what you are asking for it. That would mean it is going to someone who appreciates it and will give it a good home. Unfortunately, the market is not the best right now, and I don't see it getting any better any time soon when people will splurge on old bicycles. The target market for this bike at top dollar is getting older and smaller every year.

An '83 Pro Miyata was the first bike I bought with my own money. I was 16 at the time and moved up from a gas pipe late 70s Raleigh, which served me well for the previous 2 years. I lusted after a Tommasini, Zullo, or Picchio but they were out of range for me, so I got the last Pro for the year. I still have the '83 Pro (full DA AX, originally 600EX/AX) and have added an '83 Team (full DA EX), an '82 KOGA-Miyata Full Pro (full DA EX), an '81 Team frameset (looks NOS), and an '85 Team Pista, and a '91 Team with DA 7700. Also have the Zullo I always wanted and just recently picked up a Picchio Special to add to the stable.

I am still on the hunt for the elusive one-year-only, Campagnolo Super Record-equipped '84 Team Miyata SL, with black paint replacing the typical gold. So if you have one in very good-excellent condition, hit me up. I'll pay you top dollar for it!

Since we are talking Miyatas here, I have a question for the hive...

The below photo is from their 1986 catalog. Does anyone know the story behind the possible connection between Miaya and 7-Eleven? My understanding at this time was Murray then Huffy as their bike sponsors, with Serotta having built most of the frames.

By the way, here is how Miyata shows the routing of the rear brake cable housing for the Aero Gran Comp brakes with the aero levers:

1982 Pro-Miyata

1983 Pro-Miyata
Do you know the frame differences between the '82 and '83 Pro Miyatas? I bought mine as a bare frame and a box of rusted unmarked brakes and Superbe derailleurs. Another near complete bike is in the mail for me as I write.

I didn't realize both the '82 and '83 had the Symmetric shifters and that paint/decal scheme.

Edit: The words describing the handling are pretty flowery but yes, the bike does just that on corners. Best bike I've ever ridden for first time descents.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 01-18-24 at 09:57 AM.