View Single Post
Old 01-20-24, 01:18 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3523 Post(s)
Liked 1,500 Times in 1,172 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
People that I have spoken out in the real world while I was touring and bike camping, we would get together at camp grounds to pick each other brains, and they are all against 1x setups, some were even against the belt drive system due to more complication for repairing flats, but after I taught them how to fix a flat without having to take off the wheel they were a bit more at ease.
... now that I'm 70 even on a unloaded bike! ...
Keep in mind that touring on 1x vs 2x or 3 could also depend on the terrain, ...
My Rohloff bike is chain drive, not belt, but I can't imagine that removing my rear wheel would be much harder if I had a belt drive. The belt would be under tension where my chain is not, so it should be a bit more difficult. But I would be surprised if that was a problem for wheel removal. The guy with the Cycling About website runs his belt quite loose. If I had to carry whatever tool they use to set the tension, I certainly could do that.

I turned 70 last month. At the gym my wattage level on the exercise bikes is clearly less than it used to be. Going there shortly, I anticipate today will be the same.

My Florida tour, I never used the granny gear on my triple, the only hills were bridge approaches. This past spring, Natchez Trace, the first several days were where hills were pretty flat, did not use the granny gear for several days there too. Fully agree on terrain. Later it got steeper and needed the granny gear.