cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked 770 Times in 472 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
First, #1: NASHBAR!!! I miss their deals, especially over winters, they really cleared out stock.

2: I'm astonished you have not had your folder frame stolen, especially NYC.
I no longer chain mine outside when shopping, thieves now have grinders that will cut through in seconds.
I had my trashed-condition early Dahon 3 speed stolen that way. These are not pro thieves, they are homeless, some addicts, hoping to sell any bike, any part. I am sympathetic but I need my bike and have invested a ton of time in mods to make it work great. I bring my folder inside, however mine is a big pain to fold with the panniers and all accessories, it's only an "occasional folder". They just let me wheel the bike through. You should try it.
Yeah Nashbar, been shopping with them since early 90's, most of my bike tubes are bought from them when they go on sale.
I bought two SunRace folding bikes at close out prices, one neon orange with disc brakes
and another neon green with linear pull brakes.

Most of the stops I make in Brooklyn & Manhattan have bicycle rack that
I can put my folding bike among other more valuable bikes,
therefore, my cheap folding bike without seat & seatpost are less likely to attract attention from thieves.
Sometime, when I just have to run into the building for a few minutes
I lock both brakes with rubber bands; so thief can't just walk off or ride off with my bike.
If I now I would require more time in a building, I also fold up the frame and walk the bike into the building,
most of the building in the city are cool with that.

Aerobar on folding bike.. that's an interesting commuter.

Originally Posted by edwong3
I like the frame of that Sunrace. Good price for that bike from Nashbar. They went out of business, am I right? Anyway, I have also purchased from Performance bike and Jenson USA which also have some good deals from time to time.
After getting my Bike Friday Tikit hit by SUV back in 2016,
I've just been going with cheap folding bikes for commute.
That way, I don't feel so bad when bike gets damaged or stolen.

For a while I commuted on a Citizen folding bike,
I loaned it out to a co-worker so they can commute on it and quit smoking.
Another bicycling convert he became.

The SunRace I purchased back in 2017. I liked the idea of mechanical disc brakes on a folding bike.
No worry about the wheels can damaged with potholes and have brake pads rub on the rims.
Long ago, I got a carbon seatpost for it, weighs about 1/3 of the original seatpost.
It had been used & abused in snow, salt & rain, but served me well over the last 5 years and showing its age.
The more dirt caked on the bike, the less it attract theft.

The SunRace is still my backup bike for commute.
The utility aspect of folding bike just makes sense in the city commute that have public transportation that allow folding bikes to get on & off easily.
Before the pandemic, a neighbor of mine and I got to chatting about folding bikes,
he saw me a few times on mine and was interested in them.
At the time I was on my Citizen folding bike, he asked me about Zizzo,
I was not familiar with the brand, but I told him how I use my folding bike.
He was thankful for my thoughts. I never found out if he bought a Zizzo or not.
Likes For cat0020: