View Single Post
Old 01-23-24, 10:24 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked 537 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
There is no shortage of alternative ways of getting around in NYC. People will figure it out. Ain't nobody going to Manhattan in their beat up '95 saturn for a minimal wage job.
As Randy Newman said, "I could be wrong... but I don't think so." Janitorial staff for all the corporate buildings, fast-food workers, restaurant workers including wait, bus, and dishwashing staff, and possibly even some prep cooks fresh off the boat. Any non-union labor. Park cleaning staff. Gas station staff. Parking lot attendants. Hotel cleaning staff. Dry cleaning workers. Food store cashiers and stockers. Clothing store workers. I'll bet there is a ton of minimum wage workers that flood each weekday into Manhattan, because they sure can't afford to live there, and these days, uptown neither.

I agree that some solution is needed. But as I've said, commit to solving the long-term problem of nearby housing that does not require a car, then, give incentives to reduce congestion; One might be congestion pricing, but not on the backs of the poor, that is worse than a flat tax, it's regressive, a much larger portion of a paycheck than the white-collar wealthy that work in Manhattan. You could also do the reverse, charge no bridge or congestion fees for registered carpools, because that money saved is a big deal to the working poor, and that reduces congestion. But that doesn't generate income. If the city needs income to improve transportation, tax the wealthy, proportionately.