View Single Post
Old 01-24-24, 02:45 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by NyoGoat
The question is Cargo Bike or lighter Commuter bike for an E Bike car replacement.

The back story details: I do ride my regular road bike to work sometimes. I pick up daughter from activities after work frequently so I can't ride as much. My commute is 13 miles each way. Daughter is turning 16 next year and really wants us to get her her own car. I'm leaning towards getting an E Bike to manage my commute and letting her share my car. I want a cargo bike to make it easier to replace a full car but my commute is longer such that I wonder if I really should go the lighter commuter bike route
Depends on how much stuff you will haul. My bike (not a cargo), has full racks and panniers, so 4 panniers, and a trunk bag which I removed to haul a tabletop gas grill of considerable size:

You should also try to cover other needs; Want to travel with the bike? A folder will make that easier. Even Bike Friday, known for their folders (not a quick fold, more for travel), their cargo bikes do not fold/take-apart to fit in a suitcase.

An e-bike is more expensive, and most cannot fly with the large battery size, but Bike Friday has a battery that comes apart into 3 individual batteries that passes flight regulations.

A friend of a friend just bought an e-bike that is a monster in specs for both motor and battery for about $2,000, I haven't heard back from him about it. But I'm sold on a folder; I don't need to fold it often, but when I do for transport, it's invaluable.

That said, most folders don't have "full" gearing; Bugged me forever, I finally retrofit my bike with wide range gearing (50/34 double crank), vastly improved the bike for the big hills here and shopping and touring loads. Some e-bikes are not retrofitable that way, relying on e-assist for hills. I want full gearing, even if I get an e-bike, in case battery dead or something breaks, I want to be able to get home.

Do you need to carry the bike up any stairs? Mine at 55 lbs (trunk bag full of tools, some backup clothes in panniers), is my limit, I live in a walkup and have no elevator. E-bikes are heavy.