View Single Post
Old 01-27-24, 09:13 AM
chief9245

Bikes: 2017 Argon 18 Krypton Xroad, 2017 Bombtrack Arise 2, 2018 Bombtrack Hook EXT-C

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
hey chief, how often did you change out the chain? I know chain life depends on lots of factors and can vary quite a lot from rider to rider and specifics (lots in rain, on dirt roads, fenders or not, how well you keep drivetrain clean and lubed), but I'm curious to your 1x11 experience, as that is a heck of a lot of kms, 17,000 of em.
I thought I responded to this, must have been a different thread. I went through three chains. Cassette needs to be changed out now, that was a 10-42 SRAM XG-1150 and the chainring was a 38t Wolftooth that definitely needs changing.
I love the arguments and all the data people throw out with 1x, 2x, 3x, belt drive, and Rohloff hubs. There's so many variables...age, fitness, mechanical ability, etc. I did three mountain ranges, hundreds of miles of trails, sand, dirt, rock, tarmac, and hundreds of miles of desert, the whole gamut. The PCH is tougher than a lot of mountains out there, but what a treat! I did grades of up to 14-16% for over ten miles. And I'm 58. Ride what makes you happy, don't let anyone tell you x is better than y. Touring is about the experience, whether good or bad, and a learning experience. This was the first tour I ever did, and for the next, I wouldn't change a thing, I love my 1x setup.
Likes For chief9245: