Old 01-28-24, 08:00 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 535 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Another cool, albeit useless technique is one that a guy in my local cycling team/club dreamed up, and the rest of us then imitated, back around 1965. Instead of coming to a complete stop and swinging your leg over the top tube or back wheel to get off the bike, you would (1) stand on the left pedal as it came up and past 12:00 and (2) let the bike shoot forward out from under you, putting your right foot down and grabbing your saddle just in time.

One of the clumsier riders once had his bike get away from him before he grabbed the saddle, to much merriment from the rest of us.

It was easy to learn that dismount technique on a track bike (which was all I owned at the time), but it was only a bit trickier on a road bike. Anyone posting here could probably learn it in about two minutes.

As far as I know, we were the only riders anywhere who used what I guess I can therefore call the "New Haven dismount."

Could come in handy for cyclocross, I imagine.

Edit: I haven't tried it in at least 40 years. Forgot to mention: loosen your toe straps first!!! And it might not work reliably with clipless pedals, to put it mildly.
I remembered seeing this on one of Sheldon Brown's articles on fixed gear riding:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html#mounting

That would be amazing to see!

(On my first fixed gear ride years ago, I did a partial version of this idea: I tried to coast as I came up to a stop sign. I got bounced right off the saddle. No tip over crash, good.)
Likes For rm -rf: