Old 01-28-24, 08:57 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 224 Posts
Since the OP clarified that his is not a muddy farm (in general) and he takes care of his stuff, I think a fat tire eBike would be about perfect. For what you describe, these are some features I think I'd look at fat tire eBikes.

I recommend an Aventon Aventure, as I have an Aventon and am very happy with its quality. It's not top of the line bike shop brand quality, but still has good hardware and build quality: https://www.aventon.com/collections/...-electric-bike

At $1800, it's just in budget and I believe Aventon is the best quality you can get for the price. At that price, rack & fenders are included, which you'll find useful.

You can save $500 and get a Lectric XPeak and it includes both rack & fenders AS WELL AS heavy duty baskets and a killer headlight. Quality in the Lectric is good, but not as nice as Aventon, in my experience. (I have one of each) Components are not quite as nice, but work fine:
https://lectricebikes.com/collection...igh-step-ebike

If you'll have to ride it across rutted fields, I do think an ATV would be a better choice.

Unless you're climbing a lot of steep hills, I don't think mid drive is a necessary expense. The thing to understand about mid drive vs. hub drive is that mid drive can put down more torque because it can use the chain & sprocket gearing of the bike, however all that extra torque is then put THROUGH the chain & sprockets. You'll need to replace them more often. Also, if you break the chain with that torque, you're walking back. With a hub drive, it'll still give a lot better climbing performance than on a regular bike, but the torque is applied only to the gearing inside the hub. If you were to break a chain (less likely due to less torque going through the chain) you could motor home with throttle.

For your use, I kind of like the Lectric; those heavy-duty baskets seem like they'd be handy on the farm.

One other option, since you say you travel a lot might be the Lectric XP 3.0. It is a fat tire bike also, but has 20" wheels instead of 26", but folds up. It's not exactly light, at 65 lbs. but would certainly be easier to load into a truck than one of the bigger aforementioned models. (unless you have a ramp) Would 20" wheels with fat tires get over your terrain there? That bike can be outfitted similarly to the XPeak mentioned earlier and starts at about $1,000.
Likes For Smaug1: