Old 01-30-24, 01:12 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5969 Post(s)
Liked 2,876 Times in 1,601 Posts
This thread seems to be another example of the BF tendency to make what's simple into something complex.

Steel tabs are straightened every day with moderate force applied via the threaded hole. Anything will serve, though the tool made for the job combines leverage with a gauge to get it square.

Concerns over things like work hardening are overblown, because the low carbon steels used ---- typically 1018, 4130, or similar ---- are not prone to work hardening, and, in any case a single bend like the one shown wouldn't do that.

Straightening the hanger with a wheel securely mounted, (which is SOP to use the gauge) supports the dropout and ensures that bending is localized to the hanger.

Also, it wouldn't matter, even if you were somehow to end up not getting it perfect, because the ONLY thing that matters is that it's square to the plane of the wheel.

So, hoping Nike doesn't sue me, my advice is to cut the BS and "Just do it".

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY: