Old 01-31-24, 12:34 AM
freckles

Bikes: BF NWT, Tern Short Haul

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
City biking: Yeah, if mostly on the flats and mild hills, in traffic biking and not covering long stretches of ground rurally, 30-70/75ish gear inches should be enough, especially if the bike is "empty". My (non-frequent) folder is fully racked and panniered with trunk bag full of tools and for shopping (and hopefully touring as some point) so 55 lbs all the time (with panniers empty except for backup warm clothes), and my city has San-Francisco-steep hills, and I really need that 21" low, and even then, on the most steeps (like 15-20% grade), need to stand on the pedals or walk it up. Out of the city, I do use the 85" high, but usually only if the wind is at my back or on a mild downgrade.
I live in Los Angeles- no rural areas. No hills like SF. I do have a bike w/lots of gears that's set up for commuting/touring w/panniers. Plus an ecargo bike w/huge panniers for shopping/hauling.

This Brompnot trifold is strictly for taking on public transit to reach final destinations since I'm car free now. Its not for long rides or carrying stuff. I do want a front bag but that's about it! Which is why I thought anything from 3 to 6 gears would be more than enough for last mile kind of riding.