View Single Post
Old 01-31-24, 05:23 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5081 Post(s)
Liked 8,382 Times in 3,961 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
I just wish we'd all quit saying stuff like this. The value of a nice bike, or any sports or hobby equipment, to anyone (except maybe a very serious racer, which are a very, very small portion of the high end sports equipment market) is not performance based, but how much fun it is to look, handle and use it. Who cares if the bike is better than the rider? Only people who are for some reason jealous because they don't have one. I love my CF and titanium and high end steel bikes clipping along at my 13 mph pace for about 2,000 miles per year.
I tend to agree with this. The premise that "carbon fiber bikes are only for pros" is utter nonsense. I love my high-end, lightweight, carbon fiber bikes because they get the most out of the fitness that I have right now. They also inspire me to want to ride more, which is a good thing. I may not be as fast as I used to be, but I still recognize and appreciate the ride qualities of a high-end, go-fast, race bike - road, gravel, and MTB.

I strongly believe that whatever bike excites you...or makes you happy...or best suits you needs...is a good bike, regardless of what material it's made from, and it's totally okay for us to have different preferences.