Old 02-05-24, 11:30 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11097 Post(s)
Liked 7,692 Times in 4,285 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Ummm...Terry is correct. Buyout contracts can cover a lot of things, including allowable name/brand usage and non-compete terms.
Oh good lord.
Yes, I recognize he is correct. There has been 0 discussion of this for the example in question though. Trek is moving some stuff that was Bontrager branded over to Trek branded. Some Bontrager branding is staying.
There is no indication of non-compete concerns. There is no indication of allowable name/brand usage concerns.

There has been nothing at all about this being a contractual change due to the brand purchase 29 years ago.
I mean, yeah sure there is a chance the purchase agreement 29 years ago said 'Trek can use Bontrager as a brand name for all sorts of components and gear, but 29 years from now, Trek must reduce the number of items labeled Bontrager, but Trek can still use the brand on some items'.
Yep, that's possible. I wouldn't say it's likely. I wouldn't say it's even remotely the case. But sure- since none of us have seen the contract details, I will say it is possible.

Good point by Terry.**