Old 02-06-24, 07:07 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1285 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 1,472 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Ok, full disclaimer here: That '53 might as well have been finding a unicorn with zebra stripes ridden by the ghost of Martin Milner wearing a Federal Signal siren on his back.

In the ~17 years I've actively kept my eye out for '50s era Raleighs, I've come across no more than a '61 Superbe (21" - too small, oxidized paint but well kept and complete) and a '54 Sports (ladies, near mint, dull but polishable), both with outrageous asking prices on them ($800 and $600 respectively - in a bidding war, they're worth $250 tops), and I've seen both of these within the last six or seven years. Nothing else until this '53 showed up, and the chances of it being a Superbe? Off the scales. But it is. A feat of outrageously good luck.

There are a few 1970's Raleighs in various states for sale locally; sometimes for reasonable prices. Most of them languish. I never see anything that raises my pulse. The sub-brands are not uncommon; I know of more than a few Robin Hoods and Triumphs floating around locally.

I've been using the grips Peter Kohler sells. They're Lee-Healey reproductions - by Lee-Healey themselves - of a grip they used to produce, prior to their factory fire in the 1970's. They're similar to the Raleigh bullet grip.

I'm surprised the John Bull Super Clubs used on the Superbes haven't been reproduced. Based on what I've seen on Google, it was a motorcycle grip too. To my surprise, I found out there's a different size between the men's and women's grip too, unless the '53 received downsized grips across the production run.

P.S.: There's an update on the Superbe too, forgot to tag you there: "Get your 1950 Raleigh Superbe Kit Today!"

-Kurt
Kurt,

Anything you are particularly looking for, regarding years or model? I feel like my market is horribly depressed, especially for bikes like this. Most people can't possibly tell the difference between a collectible 1950s (and earlier) bike and something from the 70s - I mean, I barely can. Let me know what you look for, and I'll keep my eye out.

Likes For AdventureManCO: