Thread: Bikes on Amtrak
View Single Post
Old 02-08-24, 02:36 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3523 Post(s)
Liked 1,500 Times in 1,172 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Fun fact: Interestingly, Amtrak's bike box is 70x41x8.5 inches. Greyhound's box is (typically) 54x29x8 inches. Uh...
Thanks for posting. I was unaware that Greyhound had bike boxes.

Yes, the Amtrak boxes are huge, you can typically leave both wheels on. I think that they require total weight of no more than 50 pounds. I have an old Amtrak box in storage, but it is so deep in storage I am not going to go weigh it. I have packed the bike with two empty panniers on the bike when I put it in the box, although the photo shows three so my memory could be wrong.

Amtrak says you just need to turn the handlebars sideways, but my frame size is big enough I have to remove the bars from the frame.

This is how I packed it before I rode the GAP and C&O. I think I have lowered the saddle, but the saddle does not appear to be lower in this photo. The box is on the left, you can see the box height. This was the third time that this bike went into an Amtrak box.

Sorry about the poor lighting for the photo.

Sometimes Amtrak is not super careful with how they handle the bike in the box. Fortunately no damage, bike shifted fine.

Bar end shifter in photo below.