Thread: Eroica Cuba
View Single Post
Old 02-08-24, 10:44 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,869 Times in 684 Posts
But first…

The first time I visited Cuba I was unnerved by the hustlers trying to get me to stay at their place. While in the secure part of the airport mind you. They showed us folders of apartment photos with corresponding maps.

then I learned how the top wage was $50 a month (heart surgeon) and if two families decide to bunk together, renting out their gov appointed housing for $25 a night, by all means!!

2nd trip to Cuba, I looked forward to picking my apartment in the secure luggage area. I knew which neighborhoods were cool.

3rd trip, well six little letters. Airbnb.

back to this trips purpose.
Built the bike and started my ride into town.

stopped by a lil bar I remembered. This bar, I figured their whole demographic was appeasing the cab drivers who didn’t get a fare into Havana (33km) but didn’t want to face their families yet.

anyway, remember when the X-ray guy was amazed by the CO2 tire filler?? (I remind you dear readers, not judging them. About to explain why)…..

so lil bar had some wines they offered by the glass. No shocker there…
EXCEPT they had a Coravin.

Don’t know Coravin (rube)?

it’s a system to pour wine by the glass that uses NO2 (or NOZ for you F&F people, nay, bros).

In wine-centric Portland I struggle to find the NO2 cartridges, yet here in rural Havana, must not be an issue.

some pics:

Gotta put the Senator back together

Coravin. In the middle-of-nowhere-bar

Military owned hotel. As a US citizen, not allowed. And, you can’t ride 2 blocks without seeing Che. It’s like the U of O dorms all over again. Every room has with a poster of Bob Marley or Che or both. So edgy.

The architecture will make you smile and cry at the same time.

The Senator rules!!

I don’t normally wear a helmet. Tomorrow I might not. No one else here does.