View Single Post
Old 02-10-24, 01:20 PM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked 704 Times in 397 Posts
Update
I did some studying and measuring on another 4X set I had, and also compared this to the front rim on the same bike. Interestingly, I had wheels that were clocked either way when looking at the rim. It seems that the original builder should have started one hole over on the hub. I was still confused looking at it, but tore down the offending NDS except for just one spoke. I then saw where the spoke should land on the rim and measured to be sure it was what I wanted. This would keep the spokes heads on the original side of the rim. It seems that being clocked the “wrong” way would have worked too if the spokes landed in a different spot on the rim.

Effectively this is what I did, flipping the leading and trailing spokes and also turned it into a mirror image or symmetrical pattern if that is what it is called. All that wound up placing the valve hole not between parallel spokes. This was remedied by moving the whole 36 spokes one hole over. The Champion 58s allowed this as the spoke holes are centered on the rim. I didn’t snug anything up yet as I want to put a dab of grease on things first before tensioning.

As an aside, all the spokes were 307mm. Spoke calc says 307.6 or 307.7 for everything except the DS rear which is 306.7. That valve stem hole clocked wrong brings up another question for another day when applied to rims with offset spoke holes like one set I have. No pics yet as the wheel is ugly of course with nothing snugged up. Hope this isn’t too confusing sounding.