View Single Post
Old 02-10-24, 07:50 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5956 Post(s)
Liked 2,862 Times in 1,595 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
OK... Just looked um up, I get it. The more crosses the stronger the wheel (torsion).

The more crosses the better for strength but the angle of the spokes in the picture seams to touch the heads of the other spokes. It just looks strange to me. Maybe its just the way the hub is designed. I have seen 4x on BMX bikes and they don't touch. I have also seen 4x lacing on a few of the touring bikes that come through my area.

Anyway FB, thanks, I get it now...
Touching the heads is incidental, and doesn't matter EXCEPT, it can be a bit of an annoyance if replacing a broken spoke in the field.

Whether it happens or not depends on the flange size and number of holes. On this hub, the curvature is such that the next hole doesn't move out of the adjacent spokes line. You may not see this with BMX, either because of more spokes or a smaller flange.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY: