View Single Post
Old 02-11-24, 03:43 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5956 Post(s)
Liked 2,864 Times in 1,597 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
Well, I believe ya, and you sound quite experienced, most especially with wheelbuilding. I'd be curious how much the stress changed in the spokes under hard acceleration, versus a cross wheel. I'm thinking there has to be a big change, which equals increased fatigue, but maybe that increase is small compared to the static wheel tension.
There's a slightly sad element. As I said the hub was a vintage collectible, but I'm not a collector.

Back then I taught wheelbuilding courses. Naturally there would be questions about radial spokes, so I'd use that wheel to make a point. To demonstrate how strong radial bracing is, I put the wheel on the floor, stood my 175#s on it and used it like a teeter-totter.The last time I did that, I got a bit cocky, and did a small jump. Ended up bending one flange. 55 years later, I'm still riding it on the track bike, but no more demos.

Last edited by FBinNY; 02-11-24 at 03:49 AM.