View Single Post
Old 02-11-24, 05:14 AM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 255 Posts
Almost got another Motobecane last week, Grand Record this time. It took a lot of self discipline and self convincing not to get it. And then I thought I should allow other people to have a nice bicycle instead of hogging them all.
Got back to the Superator as a distraction and to ameliorate Motobecane withdrawal symptoms. I think I've got all the parts, except the final set of pedals I'm still hunting for (but I have some Lyotard to use before I get the final set, whatever they might be).
The plan for the next few weeks will be:
1. Working on converting top-mounted LD-4850 to clamped ones. That's still ongoing. Tried two other sets of Suntour clamps for the shifter levers. First ones, LD-1900 Road Vx, would not work with LD-4850 as the innner-most washer / lever stops are non-removable. The second set, what looks like some version of LD-3700, might just work with some modifications, so will be a backup option. Now I'm waiting for DLW LD-1000. For now it looks like I might end up with quite a few sets of downtube shifters and still be forced to braze on shifter bosses on the downtube...
2. Deciding on the seat post. The options are: cutting 400mm 26.6mm seatpost to the required length or modifying 26.8mm one to fit.
3. Preparing all the parts, polishing them where necessary and putting aside in a separate box.
4. Working on the frame: fixing the BB shifter cable guide on the drive side, checking alignment of the forks, dropouts and the frame itself.
5. Building up the bicycle.

I started with taking a closer look at the frame and I'm currently working on making sure everything is aligned properly. Might end up taking it to my LBS or a frame builder for that, though need to check if they have the tools I need. For now, it seems to be roughly fine, but let's face it: I don't have very precise tools to ascertain that for sure.
Interestingly, I found out that the frame has a built in anti-theft "mechanism" for the rear wheel. By which I mean there's barely any clearance to put a rim with 700x25c tyre on. I tried a wheel with 700x28c yesterday and that is absolutely no go. The chainstays bridge won't allow you to put it on. I guess, if it was deflated, the frame might still have sufficient clearance to ride the bicycle, but you can forget about taking the rear wheel off or putting it back on. I'm going to use 700x25c with it anyway, so that's not a big deal. Though even 700x25c when inflated isn't going to be easy and quick to take off / put back on. Very narrow tubulars were probably what the frame was built for.

The fork seems mostly OK, some further investigation will be needed

Time to take a closer look at the frame before it's built up
Likes For VintageSteelEU: