Old 02-11-24, 11:47 AM
eldercycling

Bikes: Motobecane Mirage, Specialized Allez Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Yes, precessional loosening is an issue with French and Italian thread bottom brackets. That's why English and Swiss thread bottom brackets use a left-hand thread (counter-clockwise to tighten) on the drive side. It helps to use professional quality tools (e.g. Campagnolo #793/A, VAR #30, Hozan C-358) when installing French or Italian thread fixed cups, and some thread adhesive on the threads.
Even with swiss bottom brackets, having the tools that you posted pictures of is important. When it came to removing the driveside cup on my Motobecane, I had to take it to a bike shop that had a fixed cup tool that passes through the shell and tightens down. The funny thing was that they unscrewed it and then told me it was french threaded (right hand threads on both sides) but when it came time to install a new bottom bracket, I discovered that it was left hand threaded on the drive side. The bike mechanic must have worked on instinct and then looked at the "Made in France" logo on the bike and figured it was a french bottom bracket, DESPITE loosening the cup by twisting it clockwise.

It was a learning experience for me and the bike mechanics were very helpful afterwards.